Bureau for Information and Communication Technology (BICT) was created on 23rd May 2017 with a mandate to pioneer the ICT program of the state and to also supervise operations of the State Library board. Bureau for ICT is aimed at strengthening the operations of Nasarawa State Civil Service and improving service delivery through identification of huge capacity gaps in critical areas of ICT and government work, strategic thinking abd policy analysis, analytics needed in the vision to sustain accelerated growth of Nasarawa economy and translate this to clear improvement in lives of citizens. The Bureau for ICT in line with the Nasarawa State Government Economic Development strategy (NEDS) works to ensure the ease of doing business in Nasarawa State , through effective websites for MDAs and active communication channels and providing response to inquiries.
BICT focuses on taking the administration’s message of digitalization, digital transformation and use of digital technologies to all Nasarawa state MDAs in line with ICT goals.
FUNCTIONS OF BICT:
- Powering e-Government initiatives and projects in the state
- Regulation of ICT hardware and software acquisition by providing the government with hardware and software specifications prior to contractual obligations for system acquisitions.
- Monitor and provide certification for all ICT projects in the state.
- Provision of Technical/Help Desk support and maintenance of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) related issues within MDAs.
- Maintenance of Email addresses for government functionaries on the state domain www.nasarawastate.gov.ng
- Provision of Intranet and Internet systems to encourage automation and reduce bureaucracy in communication within MDAs
- Taking periodic inventory of ICT equipment within MDAs
- Prepare ICT projects and programme concepts for the State Government.
- Responsible for ICT policy preparation/ review for approval of Mr. Governor and state EXCO.
- Responsible for Implementation of the approved ICT policy of the state
- Responsible for preparation/implementation of ICT strategy for the state.
- Facilitate rapid development of IT and enabling physical infrastructure.
- Design, deploy, troubleshoot and maintain all network infrastructure
Following the high volume of work done so far on infrastructure by the Nasarawa State Government, there is a need for special focus on how ICT would help in the advancement of sectors like Education, Revenue Generation, Civil Service and investment to name a few, this will enable Nasarawa State reap from its untapped potential just as it was done in Land Administration, where technology provided a boost to the sector.
Deploying Information Technology to ease the way of doing business:
- Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS)
- State Integrated Financial Management Information (SIFMI)
- Budget and Tax Management Information System (BTMIS)
- Human Resource Management System (HRMS)
- Health Management Information System (HMIS)
- Email Platform for Public Office Holders
- Administrative Information Sharing Centre
To create an Information Technology enterprise society